Hobart Ironman 230 (500536) MIG Welder Review
The Hobart Ironman 230 MIG welder is a beast, a heavy duty workhorse of a machine that does double duty as a MIG welder and a shielded flux cored welding machine. Putting out a massive 250A maximum, the Ironman 230 is robust enough to deal with anything you might throw at it. No matter your working needs, you can be sure this machine has the power to deal with it.
The best machine in its category, the Hobart 500536 is suitable for anything from small home workshops set up with dedicated power supplies to light industrial work.
Why Should You Buy The Hobart Ironman 230?
If you need a system with the highest power output available and the capacity to be used as either a MIG or flux cored welder, the Ironman 230 is perfect. Easy to use, its features like the reversible drive rolls and infinite wire speed are designed to make your welding as simple and painless as possible.
Who Should Buy?
The Hobart Ironman 230 is a heavy duty, high power unit designed with the tradesman in mind. Its features are all geared towards the man who already knows what he’s doing and has experience. Everything the machine has is aimed to enable the welder to customise his workflow and set up every system to his exact specifications.
It is recommended for professional welders and usage in workshops and an industrial capacity. For an absolute beginner, it is recommended to start with a smaller machine, but the Hobart 500536 is still simple enough to be used by newer, relatively inexperienced welders.
Bear in mind the power requirements of this system are too high for mains power, so if you are planning on running it from a home workshop, you will have to make plans to wire it in directly.
- Huge power output: From 30-250A, the highest power output range in its class. Rest assured, if the Ironman doesn’t have the power for the job, nothing does.
- Twelve tap voltage control: Maximum control of your voltage, and a smooth, reliable arc. The digital display also makes reading your settings simple, no matter the position you have to weld from.
- Infinite wire speed control: Absolute control gives you the closest match between metal thickness, wire diameter and arc possible. You get better looking beads, deeper penetration, less spatter and easier cleanup, every time.
- Unique spool hub: Changing wire spools is easier than ever with Hobarts toolless spool change system and automatic wire alignment feature.
- Reversible drive rolls: The Hobart drive rolls come with two wire grooves for two different sizes of wire on each roll. This means you spend less time changing drive rolls, and spend less money on replacement parts.
- Hinged wire feeder panel: No problems accessing the wire drive system. Unlike some machines changing spools and drive rolls is quicker and simpler than ever. Just lift the covering panel, and you have instant access.
- Built in thermal overload: Just in case something goes wrong, the built in thermal overload automatically shuts the unit off if it is in danger of overheating.
- Fan on demand feature: Computerised fans only activate when needed, reducing power load and keeping the machine free of dust and other damaging particles, increasing its lifespan.
- Fantastic aluminium welding options: All you need to start welding aluminium with this unit is the optional Hobart spool gun.
- Hobart 5/3/1 Warranty: The machine and all its accessories are covered by the standard Hobart 5/3/1 warranty. See the user manual for more instructions.
- High power requirements: The Ironman 230 only runs on an input power of 230V, meaning it won’t run on household power supplies. The machine is also incompatible with generators.
- Relatively immobile: The unit is a heavy 185 lbs. Mounted on its own wheels, the machine is easy to move to where it is needed in static workshops, but it’s not suitable for anyone looking for a portable unit.
- Short cables: Some users have reported that the power and ground cables are both quite short. It’s not hard to either rewire or work around both issues.
- Power input: 230V
- Duty cycle at 230V: 60%
- Weight: 185 lbs
- Welds: Mild steel, stainless steel, aluminium up to 1/2” (50mm)
- Suitable for MIG and flux core welding
- Wire speed: 0-700 IPM (0-17.8m per min)
The Hobart Ironman 230 is the single best tool when you need a MIG welder that works at the absolute highest power rating possible, welds the thickest material in the least amount of passes and delivers a high duty cycle and consistent, smooth delivery.
The Hobart Ironman 230 can be found on Amazon.