Hypertherm Powermax 30 XP Plasma Cutter Review
The Powermax 30 XP offers users some truly unique benefits that are hard to find with other brands and models of plasma cutters. The unit is very portable and small in size, but it is also very powerful and delivers top performance for cutting various types of metals. It is unique in that it can provide higher levels of power for cutting thicker metals, but can also be set for detailed, precise cutting through its FineCut feature.
The unit comes with everything one needs to get started, all packed inside a durable carrying case. It even comes with gloves and shaded glasses and can be used on 120 V or 240V current (unit comes with adapter plugs).
For thick/rough cutting, the Powermax 30 can easily cut up to 5/8″. The unit is easy to set up without complicated controls or knobs.
The Powermax 30 can cut any kind of metal including stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum, and metals that are painted or rusted. Includes Safe Only feature with Auto-Voltage technology. Works on compressed air.
Why Should You Buy:
The Hypertherm Powermax 30 XP is designed as a small, portable plasma cutter that can deliver high performance when needed and precise cutting abilities when intricate cutting is needed. It comes with FineCut® consumables for detailed, thin metal cutting. The unit save buyers money as it comes with cutting gloves, rugged carrying case, and shaded glasses. The unit is perfect for those who need to operate their cutter on either 120 V or 240 V circuits.
It is able to deliver superior results in a variety of cutting tasks. The unit does not operate on dangerous or explosive gases; works on air or nitrogen gas.
Note from Manufacturer: Cutting with 120 V input power—use FineCut nozzle and deflector for cutting at 120 V input power. When operating at the maximum recommended output of 25 A, the cut capacities are:
- 6 mm (1/4″) at 482 mm/min (19 ipm)
- 10 mm (3/8″) at 203 mm/min (8 ipm)
- 12 mm (1/2″) at 76 mm/min (3 ipm)
Who Should Buy:
The Powermax 30 XP is an excellent choice in plasma cutters for those who need a versatile cutter that can cut thicker widths of metals, but also need to make precise cuts. This model would be a good option for those who work in any of the following areas: metal artwork, farm or ranch repair, sign or ornamental metal manufacturing, auto repair, muffler shops, HVAC shops, pipe cutting work, and plumbing to name a few.
Those who are new to plasma cutters will find the Powermax 30 easy to set up, easy to learn, and easy to use once they have spent a little time practicing with it. There are no complicated settings to master and the user interface is accessed via a single knob.
Also a very good option for those who need to take their plasma cutter with them to job sites. Lightweight and quick to set up makes it perfect for on-site work.
Likewise, those who are looking for fine-cut plasma cutter such as artists, hobbyists, and craftspeople will love the precision cutting that this small powerhouse can deliver time after time.
- Powerful yet affordable.
- Runs on either 110 or 240 V currents.
- Comes with Auto-Voltage and plug adapters included.
- Can cut up to 5/8” metal or be used for precision cutting on thin metals.
- Comes with cutting gloves, shaded glasses, rugged case, carry strap, standard consumables and FineCut consumables.
- Very portable and easy to set up.
- Duramax LT torch is comfortable to use and heat and impact resistant.
- Does not come with an air compressor.
- As good as it is for what it does, it is not an industrial cutter.
- Precision cuts will require some practice before mastering.
- Input voltages: 120-240 V, 1-PH, 50/60 Hz
- Input current @ 3.8 kW: 120-240 V, 1-PH, 25-18.8 A
- Output current: 15-30 A
- Rated output voltage: 125 VDC
- Duty cycle @ 40°C (104°F): 35%, 240 V; 20%, 120 V
- Open circuit voltage (OCV): 256 VDC
- Dimensions with handles: 14″ x 6.6″ x 12″
- Weight w/ 15′ torch: 21.4 lbs.
- Gas Supply: Clean, dry, oil-free air or nitrogen
- Recommended gas inlet low rate / pressure: 113.3 l/min at 5.5 bar (80 psi)
- Input power cable length 3 m (10′)
- Power supply type Inverter – IGBT
- Engine drive requirement 5.5 kW for full 30 A output
- Warranty: Power supply 3-year warranty; Torch 1-year warranty
The Powermax 30 is a fine option for those who need a plasma cutter for smaller jobs, that is portable, easy to use, affordable to buy and operate, and easy to set up no matter where it is used. Its dual current ability makes it very versatile, and for those who have access to both 120 and 240 volt outlets, the cutter will perform with outstanding results. Its small size and lightweight makes it very easy to carry and set up. The included carry case is able to hold the cutter and all of its accessories.
The Powermax 30 XP can be found on Amazon.