Klutch ST80i Stick/TIG Welder Review
Widely considered one of the best starter welders on the market, the Klutch ST80i Stick welder delivers exceptional value in a tiny package. Attractive, with a great build quality, the ST80i also has a surprising amount of features packed into its tiny (12 inch!) frame, without skimping on power.
Capable of delivering up to 75A of output power, and with the option to stick weld and TIG weld, the Klutch ST80i is a great machine for anyone who needs the kind of mobility and flexibility a unit of this size brings.
Why Should You Buy The Klutch ST80i?
If you need a mobile welding machine that doesn’t compromise on quality or power output, the Klutch ST80i is a fantastic tool. Combining mobility, decent power, a great build quality and both stick and TIG support in one tiny package, for its price range, this machine is exceptional.
Who Should Buy?
This welding machine is literally perfect for a beginner welder. Small and mobile, easy and simple to set up and just as simple in operation, and a very reasonable price makes this a very attractive unit.
Considering the price, anyone looking at small home projects, or perhaps someone needing a small amount of work done on their farm or in their workshop and considering renting a welder might consider picking this machine up instead. You’d hardly pay more, and you get a solid machine that will last you for years to come.
It’s also perfect for a tradesman or other welder who needs the mobility something of this size brings, whether that’s because you need to move around your workspace freely, without the issues moving a 50lb+ welder brings, you work in more than one place and need your own welding machine that you can bring with you, or you regularly work outdoors.
For that, this welder is ideal. The great power output and capacity to weld metals up to 1/8th of an inch thick give you the power and versatility you need, wherever you go.
- Fantastic stick welding: This machine gives smooth performance, at a great power rating and duty cycle for a unit of this size.
- Inverter based technology: The IGBT inverter that powers this machine gives a far higher power rating than any non-inverter possibly could and needs up to 25% less amperage for its power value compared to transformer based welders.
- Painless outdoor welding: No shielding gas and self contained stick electrodes mean environmental factors are a non-issue when it comes to outdoor welding, and the tiny size and sheer mobility of the unit means you can take it absolutely anywhere.
- TIG welding option: To start TIG welding, all you need is to purchase the necessary accessories. A new TIG torch, Argon gas and regulator and you’re up and ready to weld, anywhere.
- Simple set up: The Klutch ST801 has built in quick removable weld cables, which give you the easiest set up, tear down and polarity changes possible.
- Automatic thermal overload shut off: The sytem shuts off welding output when the machine starts to overheat, and the inbuilt indicator light lets you know what’s happening. The unit’s fans will keep on to cool the machine down until it’s back within a safe temperature range.
- Weld thickness: Despite its size and power rating, the Klutch stick welder can handle metals up to 1/8th of an inch thick.
- Mobility: The complete unit is tiny. At less than 10lbs plus accessories, and using the handy shoulder strap, the whole system can easily be brought from place to place without any fuss, ideal for people who move from site to site, or anyone who works away a lot.
- Low power: Designed as a mobile unit, the Klutch stick welder is in no way a replacement for a larger welding system. It’s low power rating means it is not suited for constant usage.
- Low duty cycle: Because of its small size and power rating, the Klutch TIG welder only has a 20% duty cycle. If you’re looking for a welder that you can use constantly, or on larger jobs, it’s best to consider something heavier.
- Power supply: 120V 20A Single Phase
- Output range: 20-75A DC
- Duty cycle at 75A: 20%
- Dimensions: 12”x 5”x 9”
- Weight: 9.9lbs
- Suitable for welding: Cast iron, mild steel, stainless steel
In its size class, the ST80i stick welder is amazing. A great power output gives you clean weld with a good bead, the option to also use it for TIG welding if your needs expand, and the fact that it can be taken literally anywhere you can get 120V of power means that it’s suitable for damn near anything you can throw at it.
Of course, it’s still a portable welding machine, so don’t expect the same performance you’d get out of a heavier, more expensive system. But for the size and price, this is one of the best multi-purpose welders our there.
The Klutch ST80i can be found on Amazon.