Lotos LTP5000D Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter Review
The Lotos LTP5000D Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter is considered by many to be one of the very best when it comes to portable plasma cutters. It uses an air compressor (not included) and can easily cut through a variety of metals including alloy steel, stainless steel, copper, mild steel, and aluminum.
The torch is able to make cuts without having to be in contact with the metal which makes it perfect for cutting through rusted or painted materials. Because of its MOSFET transistor, which produces uniform output, the unit is able to make clean cuts through thinner materials, yet is also able to deliver enough power to cut through thicker materials. The pilot arc produces less slag, reducing clean up. It is a dual-voltage unit, operating on either 110 or 220 V, 50/60 Hz.
Why Should You Buy:
The Lotos LTP5000D is an affordable alternative to much higher priced plasma cutters. It can perform the cutting tasks that most general users need to perform without problem. It can cut materials from ½ inch to ¾ inch, depending on material and application.
The plasma torch comes with a hose that is 9-ft. 5-in. long and has a three-pin end connection. It comes with one nozzle, electrode, and cup already installed on the unit torch. In addition, the included ground clamp has a 2-inch max clamp width and is 6-ft. 8-in long with its attached cable. The air regulator (included) uses an easy to read gauge, displaying air pressure measurements from 0 to 150 psi. It can be mounted to a wall by using the bracket that is also included.
Who Should Buy:
The Lotos LTP5000D is one of the better options for anyone who is doing arts, crafts, or ornamental metal work. The low price makes this an excellent choice for most DIY users who want a cutter that is versatile and easy to use. Shops such as auto repair, muffler repair, general salvage, and plumbing will also find this a very good option, especially for those who are looking a less expensive alternative to higher-end cutters.
While the Lotos LTP5000D is not designed for industrial, heavy-duty use, it is powerful enough for those who do smaller cutting jobs. Would be a good fit for ranches, farms, and is especially well suited for those who need to carry their cutter with them to the work site. Very portable and comes with sturdy carrying handle.
- The unit comes with an impressive list of components in the box: the Lotos LTP5000D plasma cutter, plasma torch with a set of one nozzle, electrode, and cup installed; ground clamp and cable, air pressure regulator, wall-mounting bracket for air pressure regulator, air hose, 2 air hose couplers, and 2 air hose clamps.
- Less expensive than other cutters in this class.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty, better than most.
- Uses 110 or 220 power.
- Very portable for easy movement and use.
- Comes with sturdy carrying handle.
- Simple to set up, simple to use.
- Easy to read and understand gauges.
- Makes precise cuts through thinner materials.
- Manufacturer offers free, online tutorials.
- Does not come with an 110 Volt pigtail (sold separately).
- Provided air hose may be hard to seal.
- Torch trigger is not guarded.
- Power requirement: 110 to 220V, 50/60 Hz
- Input current: 20A @ 110 to 220V
- Output current: 10 to 50A
- Gas supply: Clean, dry, oil-free air
- Recommended gas inlet flow rate/pressure: 3.6 scfm at 65 psi
- Duty cycle at 40-degrees C/104-degrees F: 60% at 110V, 50A; 60% at 220V, 50A
- Overall dimensions (including handle): 12 x 6 x 15 inches
- Weight: 26 lb./11.8 kg
While the Lotos LTP5000D Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter may look similar to other brands of cutters, this is truly a workhorse that will deliver what it says it will deliver. It is an excellent option for those who need to do rough cutting, including cutting painted or rusty materials and is also able to make fine cuts. Its dual voltage capability makes it easy to use just about anywhere. With a decent air compressor (say, 5 HP), users can easily cut through up a variety of metals. The price is right for the average home user and small job sites/fab companies; very good choice for hobbyists and artists on a budget.
Consumables are also less expensive than many competitors, and the manufacturer has a video library available online (free) to show users exactly how to make different cuts, including gouging. Videos are easy to understand and can be a great benefit to those new to using plasma cutters.
The Lotos LTP5000D can be found on Amazon.