LOTOS TIG200 TIG/Stick Welder Review
For the beginner, Lotos have delivered a solid machine that has a good balance between quality and price. The LOTOS TIG 200 is ideal for someone who needs a cheaper, starting machine that still delivers consistent welds across a range of metals, and has enough options to not limit experienced welders.
The TIG200 is perfect for smaller jobs like automotive and motorcycle work, home workshops and hobby projects, and is an absolutely ideal choice for someone looking to purchase their first welding machine.
Why Should You Buy The LOTOS TIG200?
For its price, the LOTOS TIG200 is an excellent machine. Whilst it’s not as pretty or slick as a major brand name welder, it does everything it needs to do, and it does it reliably and well.
Its good power rating and viability for use with the majority of metals up to ¼ of an inch (6mm) means it deals with anything a home user or hobbyist could possibly need it for.
Who Should Buy?
The Lotos TIG 200 is absolutely perfect for hobbyists and people who are either just getting started with welding or only have occasional use for a welding machine. As it is a cheaper machine, it isn’t suitable for constant and heavy work, and it doesn’t come with all of the fancy features you’d expect from machines twice it’s price. But the unit still performs well, gives fantastic welds and gives you industrial-quality features in a reasonably priced package, so it’s still a fantastic deal.
Out of the box, it comes with everything you need to start welding straight away, so for someone looking to set up a home welding station with the minimum of fuss and without breaking the bank, the TIG200 is a solid choice.
- Square Wave inverter. Gives a consistent and accurate weld when working on fine aluminum.
- Automatic dual voltage and dual frequency. Runs on either 110V or 220V as standard, and runs on both AC/DC and comes with mains adaptors to fit both types of plug.
- Precise control. High-frequency start feature gives consistent performance every time, with reliable and fast ignition at every frequency.
- Consistent performance. Welds steel and aluminum up to ¼ of an inch and suitable for all types of metals.
- Great duty cycle. The tig 200 has potentially a 100% duty cycle uptime on low amperage jobs. That means less wasted time for you, and less worry about overstressing the machine.
- Out of the box assembly. The kit comes with everything you need to start tig welding, including tig torch, stick electrode holder, ground clamp and cables, argon hoses and regulators, a foot pedal, pigtail adaptor and handheld shield.
- Simple construction. The machine itself is very simply built. This means they tend to be robust, and if you have even the most basic understanding of electronics, it means modifying or repairing your unit is simple and easy. It’s also easy to switch out torch heads or even switches on the unit.
- The price. It has to be said, the fact that it is so cheap and still delivers what it does is a major positive.
- Basic features. As it’s an entry level machine, it doesn’t have the same specifications as something like a Miller. Everything is perfectly functional but can take a little getting used to.
- Basic kit. The machine comes with a European style torch instead of a pencil torch. Whilst it’s perfectly usable, it is bulkier and less maneuverable, especially if you’re used to working with pencil torches. The foot pedal is also a simple on/off rather than a variable, amperage has to be adjusted on the machine itself.
- Dust contamination. Some users have reported that dust can work its way under the cover and build up static, which interferes with the function. It’s easily rectified with compressed air, or even just occasionally removing the cover and blowing the dust away.
- Output power: AC/DC
- Input voltages: 110V/220V
- Power efficiency: 80%
- Output current TIG: 10-200A
- Output current stick: 30 – 200A
- Weight: 58lbs
- Duty cycle at 110V: 100% at 110A, 60% at 150A
- Duty cycle at 220V: 100% at 150A, 60% at 190A
- Suitable for all metals up to ¼ inch, (6mm)
- 1-year warranty
For anyone who wants a cheaper machine that gives consistent results at an affordable price, the Lotos 200 amp tig welder is a fantastic deal. For its price, the power delivered by the machine, it’s adaptability to varying circumstances and its suitability for the number of jobs it can perform, is really impressive.
This welder can be found on Amazon.