Miller Millermatic 211 Autoset MIG Welder Review
Start welding quickly and easily with the Millermatic 211 Autoset MIG welder, which comes with a whole range of automatic features which are bound to make any welder’s life easier. It has the capacity to weld aluminum, steel and stainless steel at a variety of different thicknesses, so offers great versatility in terms of potential projects.
Suitable for novice and experienced welders alike, this welding machine gives great results for small, hobby projects, automotive jobs and even work on farms and ranches. Miller is a highly respected brand that has become well known for manufacturing some of the best auto-darkening helmets and welding equipment on the market, and this machine is no different.
Why Should You Buy The Miller Millermatic 211?
The Auto-Set and Quick SelectTM features mean that getting started has never been easier. All you have to do is set the wire diameter and the thickness of the material that you’re using, and the machine will take care of the rest. In addition, starting to weld is extremely clean and smooth, providing no spatter whatsoever – it’s so good that this has been described as the best starting machine of all small MIG welders.
One other great reason to buy the Miller 211 is that it’s incredibly smooth to weld with while being really versatile at the same time. The arc is really stable, regardless of your project, materials, arc length and travel speed, allowing you to get on with your welding rather than worrying about the finer details.
Who Should Buy?
The fact that it’s so quick and easy to get set up with this Miller 211 MIG welder makes it ideal for novices who want to get the hang of the technique first and fine tune the features later. However, the smooth, clean, high-quality welds will also appeal to more experienced welders.
It might not be suitable for heavy duty, industrial welders, but anyone involved with automotive work, the creation of decorative items, or light farm, workshop or ranch work should seriously consider this welding machine.
- AutoSet function: all you have to do is put in the measurements for the wire diameter and the thickness of the material, and the Miller 211 AutoSet will switch to the appropriate settings. This means that you will get perfect, clean results without having to worry about getting the settings right yourself.
- Efficient cooling system: the Fan-On-DemandTM function monitors the Millermatic 211’s temperature and will only fire up when it needs to. As a result, the machine will run really quietly, making welding a much more pleasant experience overall. In addition, you’ll reduce your energy use, as well as the amount of dust and other contaminants which would normally flow through the machine.
- Versatile: this welding machine is suitable for both MIG and flux-cored welding types, giving you great value for money. The Quick SelectTM drive roll makes switching between the two types of welding seamless, as it has three separate grooves: one is for flux-cored wire and two for solid wires of different sizes.
- No need for a switch: this machine has eliminated the need for a switch, thanks to the built-in Auto Spool Gun DetectTM technology. This detects when a welding gun is connected automatically, which saves you time and hassle, allowing you to get your welds off to the best possible start.
- Multi-use plug: the plug can be connected to different voltages, including those with standard 120 and 140 voltages. You need no extra tools to do this: simply choose the correct plug for the power socket, then connect it and power up!
- Steady wire feed: the specially designed drive system feeds the wire smoothly and evenly, resulting in neat, clean welds. This is enhanced by the addition of a tension adjustment knob, which is suitable for use with up to 15-foot guns.
- Perfect starts: Eliminate spatter altogether with the Smooth-StartTM function which ensures one of the smoothest, cleanest weld starts you’ll find on the market.
- Regulator included: the regulator which comes as standard with this welding machine can be used with both argon and argon/carbon dioxide mixes.
- Comprehensive user manuals: rather than just having one paper instruction manual like most welders, the Miller 211 welder also comes with a link to an online instruction video to make setup even simpler.
- Lightweight: coming in at just 38 pounds, this welder is lighter in weight than many other similar welding machines. As a result, it’s easy to move it around the workshop – or even further afield – especially as it is possible to hook the welder up to a generator.
- Extra equipment needed: in order to use the Miller 211 welder with aluminum, you’ll need to get hold of a separate spool gun and gas before you begin. This is an added expense which you should factor into your budget.
- Drive shaft fault: it has been reported that there is a known defect with the drive shafts on a small number of machines, which need to be repaired or the machines won’t work. When you receive yours, you might want to consider checking with the supplier whether yours is one of the affected models.
- Difficulties with flux wire and AutoSet: unfortunately, some welders have reported problems with using the fantastic AutoSet function with flux-cored wire. In those cases, users have to opt for plain wire and a separate tank of shielding gas, which dramatically increases the cost of the machine and reduces its portability.
- Fast wire speed: The wire feeds through this machine remarkably smoothly, but inexperienced welders might find the speed too fast. For a machine which is otherwise very well suited to novice welders this is disappointing, but getting used to it will just take a bit of time and practice.
- Power input: 120V
- Duty cycle at 240V: 20%
- Weight: 38 lb./17 kg
- Welds steel, stainless steel and aluminum from 24 gauge (0.8mm) to 3/8 in (9.5mm) thick
- Suitable for MIG (GMAW) and flux-cored welding
- Wire speed: 60-600 IPM (1.5 – 15.2 m/min)
- Welding amperage range at 120V: 30-130
- Welding amperage range at 240V: 30-230
- Made in the USA
The AutoSet, Fan-On-DemandTM, Quick SelectTM, Auto Spool Gun DetectTM and Smooth-StartTM features which are built into the Millermatic 211 AutoSet MIG welder are rare finds which set this welder apart from the competition. They make it effortless to get started with welding, producing quality, clean, smooth welds from day one.
This welding machine is likely to be slightly too basic for experienced welders who like to be able to fine tune their equipment, make adjustments and work on heavy duty, industrial projects – although the welds are usually finished to a high quality, professional standard. For beginners or light welders, on the other hand, the Millermatic 211 is highly recommended.
The Millermatic 211 Autoset MIG welder can be found on Amazon .