AHP AlphaTIG 200X Tig/Stick Welder Review
Recently updated for 2016, the AHP AlphaTIG 200X is a solid, low price TIG welder that has far more in its slimline frame than the price suggests. With new developments like its Pulse Width Modulated inverter and AC frequency control, the AlphaTIG 200X will deliver great results whether it’s being used at home by someone new to welding, or faced with heavy duty jobs in garages or small workshops.
Why Should You Buy The AlphaTIG 200X?
Simply put, the AHP 200X is considered to be the best welding machine in its price range. It offers performance just as smooth and reliable as higher priced industrial equipment. It’s packed full of up to date technology that automates a lot of the hard work and makes your actual welding easier.
On top of that, the AC frequency adjustment and Pulse Width modulation promise that the alphatig will give you the smoothest, cleanest welds you’ve ever had with a machine of this type.
Who Should Buy?
The Alpha TIG 200X excels whether you’re an absolute beginner or a tradesman who needs something reliable but that won’t break the bank. Its updated technology makes starting jobs simpler than ever, and deliver clean, reliable welds time after time. If you need a welding machine that will deliver beautiful, reliable welds on small projects at home or in a personal workshop, this unit is perfect.
However, someone looking for a machine that sees regular, heavy duty usage should bear in mind this is still an entry level welding machine, and so shouldn’t be seen as suitable for industrial use.
- Advanced inverter technology. The AHP AlphaTIG 200X comes with Pulse Width Modulation technology that automatically regulates your system’s uptime, meaning there’s much less power loss as the system cycles and giving this unit the longest lasting and most reliable power source in its class. Power delivery is smoother, leading to a more consistent arc, and a far more consistent weld.
- Exceptional performance across all power ranges: The machine puts out 150A at 110V, and has the full range of pulse features. The unit also gives a consistent performance across all settings, with a clean and reliable arc all the way down to the lowest amperage possible,10A.
- Adjustable output frequency: The alphatig comes with A/C frequency control, which automatically adjusts output frequency to narrow the focus of your arc, giving you a cleaner and thinner bead without you doing anything different.
- New model: The machine was so successful AHP decided to simply update it instead of creating a new model. You’re getting the same solid unit with proven, reliable performance, with the advent of new technology like Pulse Width Modulation and AC frequency adjustment.
- Great accessories. The torch that comes with the kit, unlike a lot of starter torches, is high quality, with a flexible head and the option for a finger switch, (also included.) It also comes with a foot pedal, which is solidly built enough to take the punishment of a workshop.
- Ready to stick weld out of the box: Unlike some kits, the alpha tig comes with everything you need to weld stick as well as tig as part of the set.
- Solid construction: The machine itself seems robust. AHP haven’t skimped on build quality, unlike some other manufacturers in the price range, and the whole thing is covered by a 3-year warranty, in the unlikely event something does go wrong.
- Slightly erratic start. The High-Frequency start of the unit can be slightly temperamental. It consistently starts within a certain range, but if your arc is too long to begin with you might have to start closer to get a consistent ignition.
- Weird layout. Some of the dials and switches take a bit of getting used to, and the LED readout only shows the main amps setting, meaning I had to sometimes readjust so I could see the dials themselves when I wanted to change anything, instead of just glancing at the readout.
- The warranty: Whilst the machine is covered under the standard 3-year warranty, the manufacturing company is Chinese, and some users have reported that communication and fulfillment of the warranty plan can be difficult. Everyone I’ve heard about had their machine fixed, but it took a little longer than expected in some cases.
- Output power: AC/DC
- Duty cycle at 200A: 60%
- Input voltage: 110V/240V 50/60 Hz
- Welding amperage range: 10-200A
- Pulse time: 10-90%
- High-frequency start
- Weight: 38lbs
No matter what you’re looking for, if you need a welding machine that’s reasonably priced but is still packed with technology and all the features you’d expect, you should get the AHP alphatig 200x. No matter what job you need it for, or your experience with welding, the alphatig 200x comes highly recommended.
The AHP AlphaTIG 200x can be found on Amazon.