Everlast PowerARC 160STH Inverter TIG Welder Review
The Everlast PowerARC 160STH is a widely used and respected welding machine, largely due to the fact that it is a combination welder that offers you the freedom to switch back and forth between TIG and ARC (aka stick) welding. The Everlast brand is notorious for their commitment to designing and producing high quality, durable products – and this combo welder is certainly no exception to the rule. It’s quick and easy to use, and still heavy duty enough to get most jobs done. It also offers an incredibly reasonable 35% at 160 amp, and a higher percentage as you increase power.
We also love it that you can take it anywhere. The included shoulder strap and light weight of this portable welder make it incredibly quick and easy to just grab the PowerARC 160 STH and go wherever you need to work. With the option to run at 120v or 220v, you can set up and weld within minutes anywhere that there is a source of power. It just doesn’t get much better than this as far as range of usability. All you’ll need to get started is some tungsten and argon.
Why Should You Buy The Everlast PowerARC 160STH?
Whether you’re a newbie or a seasoned welder with the slag scars to prove it, you probably realize all on your own that the Everlast 160 STH is more bang for your buck than the average welding machine. The fact that it is a smooth, clean DC TIG welder as well as a stick welder with an IGBT inverter that supplies a smooth, stable arc is impressive enough on its own. Add to that the fact that it was ranked the second best stick/ARC welder in 2016, and it really starts to sound like a deal. Everlast offers an excellent warranty of 5 years on parts and labor, so you know this welder is built to last.
Who Should Buy?
This high-quality welder is a great option for practically anyone. Seriously, you could pick this set up and start welding for the first time in your life and produce some fairly clean, decent work. If you’re a seasoned pro, you’ll appreciate how easy it is to do finer work with no spatter, and then immediately switch to beading ¼” plate.
This Everlast welder’s dual voltage of 120v/220v makes it perfect for professionals as well as DIYers. Its adjustable power range makes it the perfect welder for around the yard projects, mobile welding services, or professional shop work. It’s easy enough to pack up and take with you that you could easily perform all three tasks with this handy little PowerARC 160STH.
- Small and lightweight: You can easily pack it up and take this welder anywhere with a source of power. From the house to the shop, to your buddy’s house who needs their tailgate fixed, and then home again; this powerful little welder is ready for the day.
- Dual voltage of 120v/220v: The ability to plug into a home or industrial power source is important if you plan to use your welder in more than one place or capacity. For quick jobs around the house, 120v is fine. For larger, more time-consuming jobs you’ll want to take advantage of that 220v capability, however, so that you can run at around 80-90%. With this welder, you can do it all.
- Includes both an HF start and Lift start: If you prefer to work without the pedal, a lift start is typically preferable. A lift start engages as you lift your welder away from the surface that you are working on. An HF start is great when you’re working in bad weather, or an area with a lot of air flow. A lot of people also consider it to be easier to work with in general.
- ARC and TIG: The versatility of a combination welder that can quickly switch back and forth between ARC(stick) welding and TIG(torch) welding can be incredibly convenient. You can go from doing fine detail work on aluminum to welding ¼” steel plates in minutes.
- IGBT inverter: This device supplies a smooth and stable arc, as well as a reliable hot start
- No AC output: This can be a deal breaker if you plan to work with a lot of aluminum. Working with DC only allows you to work with very specific, high-quality, and expensive aluminum rods.
- Inclusive gas regulator: While this feature can be a positive for newbies to welding, it’s more of a hassle; and a waste of gas; for seasoned welders who are already accustomed to controlling their gas rate themselves with a pedal.
- There are more powerful machines: If you are looking for a big, serious machine to do constant industrial work with at a fixed location, you can buy bigger, better, and more powerful models. This is basically the top of the line for portables, however.
- ARC and TIG capable
- Voltage: 110v/220v
- DC Output only
- Hot start
- 35% at 160a
- IGBT inverter
The Everlast PowerARC 160STH is an awesome little welder that can get the job done quickly, cleanly, and most importantly – efficiently. It’s highly recommended to newbies and well-versed welders alike. Whether you’re just trying your hand at welding, or an old pro, you’re bound to appreciate how quick and easy it is to set up and use with all of the auto set features, convenient LCD screen, and user options.
The Everlast PowerARC 160STH can be found on Amazon.