Everlast PowerTIG 185 TIG Welder Review
One of the lightest and smallest TIG welders of its class, the Everlast PowerTIG 185 Micro is a robust machine that manages to pack a surprising amount of features into its tiny little frame. No matter the job, no matter the power source or settings, no matter the metal you’re welding, this machine has the capabilities to handle it.
Why Should You Buy The Everlast Powertig 185?
With the best duty cycle amongst comparable units, the Powertig 185 Micro gives its users the best working time possible. It’s also designed for simplicity and ease of use so even beginners can just set it up and start, but it compromises none of the necessities required to give solid welds to do this.
All this is on top of the fact that the Powertig is one of the smallest and lightest units on the market., and perfect if you’re looking for a machine that’s easily movable. Despite the fact that it’s designed to be mobile, it has all the features and enough power to deliver solid performance, time after time.
Who Should Buy?
Considering just how small and portable the Everlast 185 TIG welder actually is, it’s perfect for anyone who needs a mobile unit. It’s also versatile enough for light production work as well as for hobbyists in areas like motorsports or gunsmithing.
Whilst the unit gives great performance in all circumstances and with virtually all metals, it is still designed as a portable unit so it’s less suitable for industrial work and other heavier workloads.
- Dual voltage. The Powertig 185 comes out of the box with a 220v plug and an 110v adapter and promises smooth and controlled performance no matter where you are or what power outlet you’re running it from. And unlike some TIG welders, the Powertig 185 operates under EU standard voltage straight out of the packaging.
- Duty cycle. The Powertig 185 has a higher duty cycle than anything comparable on the market, 35% at maximum power, so you have less downtime and more time actually working.
- HF start. The system can start utilizing a touch free, high-frequency process. This keeps the tungsten contamination free and is absolutely necessary for aluminum welds.
- Fully adjustable amperage. The Everlast 185 has a wide range AC frequency, and boasts excellent performance, giving you smooth and predictable welds whether it’s operating on low amperes or opened up to its maximum. It’s also just as reliable whether you’re running it from an AC or DC power source.
- Simplicity. The simple controls are easy to use and the clear readout gives absolute control over the settings. The unit’s digitally controlled inverter delivers a steady directional arc that’s as good as anything in its class and it also comes with automatically regulated pre- and post-flow gas controls, making setup even easier and reducing the amount of gas you use.
- Versatility. Like most TIG welders, the Everlast Powertig 185 also has the option to stick weld. It also has industry standard DIMSE adaptors, so it’ll take most aftermarket torches with little setup.
- The size. One of the lightest and smallest inverter welders in its class. The unit is only 40lbs so it’s easily portable and simple to pack up and transport, no matter where you’re taking it.
- Active community. The Everlast site has a thriving forum. I had a couple of questions about the unit when I first picked it up, which I quickly found the answers to. No matter what job you’re facing or question you have, someone will be able to help.
- 5-year guarantee. If anything goes wrong, Everlast’s 5 year guarantee makes sure it’ll be fixed and you’ll be up and working again in the shortest time possible.
- Equipment. Out of the box, the Powertig 185 does not come with a foot pedal or a stick weld holder. If you need either of these options, you’ll need to purchase them separately.
- Gas. The gas hose is a little short, which can be awkward. Some users have also had a small problem with the gas regulator leaking, but replacing the hose clamps fixes this straight away.
- Size. Whilst the unit is surprisingly small and light, it is quite long. Whilst this isn’t a big issue, working around it can sometimes be a little more awkward than expected.
- Power input: Dual 110V/220V
- Weight: 40lbs
- Amperage capacity: 185A
- Duty cycle: 35%
- Amperage range AC: 20-185
- Amperage range DC: 5-185
- AC frequency control : 20-250hz
- AC balance control: 10-90%
- Welds all metals
Designed for simplicity, with excellent performance at every range and clean, solid welds no matter the job or the material, the Everlast 185 is simply an exceptional piece of kit.
Whether you’re an enthusiastic newbie looking to pick up a fantastic unit at a great price or a seasoned veteran who needs the flexibility and mobility a unit like this brings, the Powertig 185 consistently and reliably delivers.
The Everlast Powertig 185 can be found on Amazon.