Hobart Handler 140 MIG Welder Review
The Hobart Handler (500559) 140 welder is a compact machine that can be used for both MIG and flux-cored welding processes. This variety allows you to weld both thin and thick materials – with surprisingly professional results for the welder’s size and power.
Offering exceptional quality, great versatility, and even a portable machine which can run off your ordinary household current, there are a whole range of reasons why this is the best-selling wire feed welder from industry giants Hobart. Get your hands on an optional welding cart to make it even more portable, allowing you to take your welding almost anywhere.
Why Should You Buy?
This welder can be set up in a matter of minutes, it’s so easy to use, and it gives great results, so you should definitely consider it if you want to get started quickly. It runs off 115v household current and it’s small enough to carry around with you, so you can set yourself up almost anywhere. Best suited to light projects and small workshop items, it’s perfect for continued everyday use.
It comes with a great range of features, including settings for both flux-cored and MIG welding, a heavy duty work clamp, safety regulators and even a spool of wire and spare contact tips, which all contribute to the fact that this Hobart 140 welder is fantastic value for money.
Who Should Buy?
The Hobart 140 MIG welder only takes a few minutes to set up, so you can start welding in a matter of moments. This makes it perfect even for very new beginners, which is probably what makes it such a popular machine.
You should find that the machine is very easy to use – you don’t need to be experienced or have a high level to start with – so it’s great for use at home. Alternatively, if you’re looking to purchase this Hobart 140 with the intention of using it in a workshop, you’ll find that it’s most suitable for light use, automotive jobs, household items and other beginners’ projects.
- Superior build quality: As soon as you open the box you’ll notice the superior build quality of this machine above many other well-known brands. The Hobart 140 welder itself is made of strong, sturdy steel, but the gun and cable are nice and light, so you won’t find them tiring to use at all.
- Portable: One of the main benefits of this welder that sets it apart from much of the competition is that it’s so portable. It’s light enough to pick it up and take with you to weld almost anywhere, and the optional extra of a specially made wheeled cart which is available makes this even easier.
- Uses standard household current: The Hobart Handler 140 is not suitable for use with generators, so don’t buy it if you intend to weld outdoors a lot away from a reliable, safe power source. However, aside from this, provided that you have a standard mains electricity supply of 115 volts, you should be able to plug this machine in and go.
- Versatile: Running between 25 and 140 amps, this machine welds materials from 24 gauge right up to mild steel 1/4 inch thick, so it’s incredibly versatile.
- Steady arc control: Regardless of the materials you’re using, you can expect a smooth, steady arc at all times. This is down to the voltage control selector which has five different settings to choose from, meaning that you can select the most suitable option for your project.
- Ready to use: It comes with everything you to get started with MIG welding: you won’t have to buy any extra equipment, which makes it extremely cost effective.
- Inbuilt safety features: In addition to all the versatility which the Hobart 140 offers, you can rest assured that you’ll be welding safely, as it comes with a whole range of inbuilt safety features. This includes a thermal overload system which resets itself, a mechanism to keep the wire safe until the moment that you pull the trigger, and protection in case of a dangerously high surge of current.
- User manual included: This machine takes just a few moments to set up, and once you’re there, it’s really easy to use. If you ever get stuck (which is unlikely) it does come with a guide to get you started and a manual to help you iron out any problems.
- Gives good quality results: Considering the fact that this is a relatively low power machine, it gives great penetration and clean, smooth welds.
- Cannot be used with generators: The welder might be portable (although picking it up and moving it regularly can be heavy work – especially without the cart) but without the functionality of being hooked up to generators, it’s useless in remote outdoor locations where there is no power supply. Furthermore, the leads tend to be just too short to be practical, so it would be useful if they were just slightly longer. Add these two factors together and suddenly the machine’s portability is limited.
- Difficulty with establishing a smooth wire feed: For welding with flux core wire, several welders have experienced some difficulty with feeding the wire smoothly through the machine – in some cases it does seem to get stuck quite easily. However, try using a heavy spool and keep your feed line straight, which should eliminate this problem altogether.
- Gas cylinders are extra: The MIG welding capability of the Hobart Handler 140 is not without flaws itself. Bear in mind that you will need a gas cylinder, which is an added cost which you’ll have to factor in over time.
- Not suitable for industrial use: The Hobart 140 tends to be most suitable for lighter operations rather than heavy, industrial jobs. As a result, it won’t be of much use if you tend to weld with thick materials or do a lot of industrial work.
- Power requirement: 115v household current
- Duty cycle at 90 amps: 20%
- Overall dimensions: 19 x 11 x 13 inches
- Weight: 57 lb./26 kg
- Welds 24 gauge to 1/4 inch mild steel
- Voltage control settings: 5
- 200 amp heavy duty work clamp
- Quick change and quick-release drive roll
- Covered by the Hobart 5/3/1 Industrial Warranty
- Made in Ohio, USA
What’s included in the box
Hobart Handler 140 MIG welder with gas valve, 10 ft MIG gun, dual gauge regulator and gas hose, 10 ft work cable and clamp, 10 ft power cord, spool of .030 flux cored wire, 8-inch spool tips, .030 contact tips, weld set up guide and owners’ manual
Overall, the Hobart Handler 140 MIG welder is a seriously impressive welding machine. It’s ideal for beginners, but the welds which it produces are of such a high quality that it will last well into your welding career.
This welding machine comes without full recommendation for smaller and lighter applications, but we were really impressed with the results on some larger projects, as well. It isn’t a high powered, industrial machine, but for its size and power, this machine’s versatility and quality are unrivaled. The facts that it can be transported so easily and used in virtually any power supply are just added bonuses which all make this fantastic value for money and an excellent buy.
The Hobart Handler 140 MIG Welder can be found on Amazon.