Hobart Handler 190 MIG Welder Review
An excellent general use machine with a range of features that make it both powerful and surprisingly easy to use, the Hobart Handler 190 (500554001) is a robust and sturdy unit that any welder would be proud to own.
Using Hobart’s proprietary technology, the Handler 190 gives any welder the opportunity to use a welder that delivers one of the cleanest welds in its class, whilst also packed with design choices and technology that makes the job of welding easier than ever.
Why Should You Buy The Hobart Handler 190?
The Hobart Handler 190 is a great machine for any non-industrial usage. With its fantastic power rating, and considering it can weld material as thick as 5/16 of an inch and as thin as 24 gauge, it will handle every job your average hobbyist or tradesman would expect to deal with.
On top of this, Hobart built the machine with simplicity in mind. From its built-in shortcut sheet to the patented wire feed technology and fantastic output control that results in a clean, attractive weld every time, even absolute welding beginners will be capable of consistent beads and spatter free welds.
Who Should Buy?
With the huge variability in the types of job it can handle, and the absolute ease of use and simplicity of all of its functions, the Hobart Handler is a fantastic machine for anyone who needs a powerful, efficient MIG welder, whether they’re a welder looking for a powerful unit that can handle the occasional heavy job, or simply a beginner looking for the best starting welder possible.
The heavy power output and huge range of welds this machine is capable of makes it ideal for automotive work, construction and maintenance work, light industrial work, farm and ranch work and home DIY projects. Bear in mind that, whilst the machine is robust and hardy, it’s not designed for the rigors of constant use and probably isn’t suited for heavy, constant industrial work.
With the capability to run off of generators, as well as its relatively light weight, the Handler 190 is also a recommended purchase if you’re looking for a portable unit that can come with you from site to site and still make those heavy welds.
- Excellent control of output: With 7 voltage selections, enhanced magnetism and the infinite wire speed control settings, the Hobart Handler 190 gives the welder exceptional control over their output settings. You get improved arc performance, less clean up and a better bead with less spatter, no matter what.
- Large welding range: Capable of running from 25 – 190 amps with seven different output voltage settings and infinite wire speed, and capable of welding 24 gauge up to 5/16ths of an inch, the Handler 190 will deal with whatever workflow you throw it at.
- Easy aluminum welding: The Hobart Handler 190 already comes with spool gun circuitry pre-installed. There’s no adapter or control box like you might get with other welders. Just plug the optional Spoolrunner 100 spool gun straight into the machine and start taking advantage of the enhanced feed ability and easy aluminum welding it offers.
- Simple, robust drive system: Durable feed heads and built in quick-release drive roll tension levers give you a positive feed with adjustable tension and make threading new wires simpler than ever.
- Quick select drive system: On top of robust construction and simple wire threading, the drive rolls are also triple threaded, for two sizes of wire and flux cored all at once. Less changeover means less wasted time.
- Built in quick reference manual: Printed on the machine itself, the quick reference gives initial settings for the majority of wires, gasses, materials, and thicknesses.
- Improved user safety: The built in contractor keeps your wire electrically cold until you pull the trigger and start welding.
- Durable, protected construction: The short circuit protection guards against current overload. A thermal overload system protects the transformer, and self-resets if and when it triggers, and the fuseless, breakerless motor protection keeps the wire feed from overloading. No matter what goes wrong, the Handler has it handled.
- Industrial standard warranty: The unit comes with Hobart’s industrial standard 5/3/1 warranty. In the unlikely event the machine does break down, everything is covered.
- Power requirements: The Hobart 190 welder will not run on a normal household power outlet. The minimum working voltage is 230V, so you’re going to have to wire it in. However, it will run on generators that are at least 7000 watts.
- The cost: The Hobart Handler 190 isn’t a cheap machine. But that’s because it’s a high power, quality unit with features and capabilities you won’t get on a cheaper machine. However, for someone focused on cost and not performance, this might be a factor.
- Rated output: 130A, 21.5V DC
- Duty cycle: 30%
- Current range: 25-190A
- Wire feed speed: 40-700 IPM
- Weight: 68lbs
- American made
Simple. Powerful. Easy to use. If you need a welder that delivers excellent results and beautiful welds, that can handle almost any normal job with ease and aplomb and doesn’t break the bank, choose the Hobart Handler.
The Hobart Handler 190 can be found on Amazon.