Hypertherm Powermax 45 Plasma Cutter Review
It can be said that the Hypertherm Powermax45 is truly a well-built, multi-purpose tool, used by many people who tout its reliability and power. Many consider it to be the most trusted 1/2″ system available today because of its broad set of application capabilities. It has 45 amps of cutting power and also includes the Hypertherm torch technology that allows it to easily cut 1/2″ thick metal with a severance capacity of 1 inch. The system comes with a 20′ hand torch and 20′ work lead. The unit can be set up with an optional mechanized torch for use with automated cutting equipment.
Why Should You Buy:
The Powermax 45 is especially good for those who need to make precise cuts with confidence. The unit is priced right for a cutter of this caliber and is easy to use when compared to many other types of similar cutters.
The unit is very portable and can be easily set up wherever it is needed. It also comes with long leads, which many other brands do not.
Who Should Buy:
The Powermax 45 would make a great choice for those who need reliable, powerful cutting power but do not wish to purchase more expensive units. People who work in such trades as metal building construction, metal artists, sign manufacturing, auto repair, farm repair, pipeline jobs will all find this unit suitable for the common tasks they have to perform.
The unit is also very good for those who are not experts at using cutters. It is easy to use, easy to understand and cuts very precisely once the user gets some practice time with the torch. Also, it is great for those who need to work on-site, or on the road, as it is incredibly portable and quick to set up regardless of where the user may be at the time.
- Precise cutting lessens grinding time.
- Very easy to use, even for beginners with some practice.
- Lightweight and portable.
- Operates on 200-240V, single-phase input voltage, 34/28A.
- Versatile; can handle many types of jobs with ease.
- Comes with long leads, easy to work with.
- May be a bit pricey for some buyers, but worth the price nonetheless.
- May take some practice to master precision cutting.
- Input voltages: (± 10%) CSA 200 – 240 V, 1-PH, 50-60 Hz
480 V, 3-PH, 50-60 Hz
CE 230 V, 1-PH, 50-60 Hz
400 V, 3-PH, 50-60 Hz
- Input Current @ 5.95 kW: CSA 200/230 V, 1-PH, 34/28 A
480 V, 3-PH, 9 A
CE 230 V, 1-PH, 30 A
380/400 V, 3-PH, 10.5/10 A
- Output current: 20 – 45 A
- Rated output voltage: 132 VDC
- Duty cycle @ 40°C (104°F):
CSA 50% @ 45 A, 200 – 240 V, 1-PH
60% @ 41 A, 200 – 240 V, 1-PH
100% @ 32 A, 200 – 240 V, 1-PH
CE 50% @ 45 A, 230 V, 1-PH
60% @ 41 A, 230 V, 1-PH
100% @ 32 A, 230 V, 1-PH
CE 50% @ 45 A, 380/400 V, 3-PH
60% @ 41 A, 380/400 V, 3-PH
100% @ 32 A, 380/400 V, 3-PH
- Open circuit voltage (OCV): 275 VDC
- Dimensions with handles: 426 mm (16.75″) D; 172 mm (6.75″) W; 348 mm (13.7″) H
- Weight with 6.1 m (20′) torch: CSA 37 lbs; CE 35 lbs
- Gas Supply: Clean, dry, oil-free air or nitrogen
- Recommended gas inlet flow rate / pressure: Cutting: 170 l/min (360 scfh; 6 scfm) @ 80 psi (5.5 bar)
- Gouging: 360 scfh; 170 l/min (6 scfm) @ 60 psi (4.1 bar)
- Input power cable length: 10′
- Power supply type: Inverter – IGBT
The Hypertherm Powermax 45 Hand System With 20 Foot Lead is an incredibly well-built cutter that delivers exactly what it says it will. It can be used in a wide variety of applications and its cutting power is substantial and clean. The unit is easy to set up and easy to use, although, as with any plasma cutter, it may require practice for those new to using this type of tool. The long leads make using this cutter convenient in tight quarters and the torch itself is ergonomic in design making it very comfortable to the user.
Users who do not have access to an air compressor can use nitrogen gas which is inexpensive and works fine with the unit. All users, however, should consider using a 1-micron air filter to extend the life of consumables. The unit, as is true with all plasma cutters, works best with clean air.
The Powermax 45 can be found on Amazon.