Hypertherm Powermax 65 Plasma Cutter Review
The Powermax 65 is one of the most versatile plasma cutters on the market today, and that accounts for its immense popularity. The unit offers a variety of torch options as well as all of the latest technical advances. Because of its design and performance capabilities, it can do more jobs than ever before.
The unit has four torch styles (Duramax) that allow operators far more flexibility and versatility than virtually any other cutter in this price range. Switching from one torch style to another is fast and easy and operators will always have the right torch for each job they are doing. Gas pressure is automatically adjusted with the Smart Sense technology that Hypertherm has perfected. These adjustments vary according to torch lead length and cutting mode to ensure that optimal performance is always available. Low-line voltage, fluctuating input current, and motor generators are balanced out through the system’s Boost Conditioner circuit feature.
Note: The new Hypertherm Powermax 65 replaces the older model Powermax 1000.
Why Should You Buy:
It should be noted that the Hypertherm Powermax 65 Hand System is not for everyone. This is a truly powerful cutter and it is well suited for heavy duty use. Hobbyists, artists, and the like may find the unit too powerful for their purposes. On the other hand, for those who need a reliable, stable cutter this may be the perfect fit.
The unit has many attractive benefits that are not commonly found on cutters in this price range. Of particular note is the ability to change from one torch style to another quickly and without fuss. This allows users to select the exact torch style they need rather than having to work with only one which is normally the case.
The unit has a recommended cut thickness of ¾” but it can cut up to a maximum of 1″. Severance cut thickness is a generous 1.25″. The Powermax 65 is cuts fast, true, and is easy to use.
Who Should Buy:
The Powermax 65 would be a fine option for anyone who needs a versatile plasma cutter for jobs both big and small. Auto repair shops, plumbers, pipefitters, and fabrication shops will find this a great choice. It is also a good fit for those who need to repairs and work on farms, ranches, and various industrial sites.
- The Fast Connect torches are quick and easy to change out.
- Comes with user-friendly CNC interface.
- Come with four work lead styles for handheld and mechanized use.
- Easy to use control panel; LCD screen is easy to read.
- Superior heat resistant handle.
- Increased arc energy means less dross and finer cuts.
- Can be set up for mechanized operation on X-Y tables, track systems, pipe, and robotic cutting systems.
- Smoother drag cutting.
- As with any cutter of this caliber, novices will need to practice with it before they will be able to master precision cuts.
- May be too expensive (and too powerful) for the general hobbyist.
- Input voltages:
200 – 480 V, 1-PH, 50/60 Hz
200 – 600 V, 3-PH, 50/60 Hz
CE 400 V, 3-PH, 50/60 Hz
- Input Current @ 9 kW: CSA 200/208/240/480 V, 1-PH, 52/50/44/22 A
200/208/240/480/600 V, 3-PH, 32/31/27/13/13 A
CE 380/400 V, 3-PH, 15.5/15 A
- Output current: 20 – 65 A
- Rated output voltage: 139 VDC
- Duty cycle @ 40°C (104°F): CSA 50% @ 65 A, 230 – 600 V, 1/3-PH
40% @ 65 A, 200 – 208 V, 1/3-PH
100% @ 46 A, 230 – 600 V, 1/3-PH
CE 50% @ 65 A, 380/400 V, 3-PH
100% @ 46 A, 380/400 V, 3-PH
- Open circuit voltage (OCV): CSA 295 VDC; CE 270 VDC
- Dimensions with handles: 19.7″ x 9.2″ x 17.9″
- Weight with 25′ torch: CSA 64 lbs; CE 57 lbs
- Gas Supply: Clean, dry, oil-free air or nitrogen
- Recommended gas inlet flow rate / pressure: Cutting: 189 l/min (400 scfh; 6.7 scfm) @ 85 psi (5.9 bar)
- Gouging: 450 scfh; 212 l/min (7.5 scfm) @ 70 psi (4.8 bar)
- Input power cable length: 10′
- Power supply type: Inverter – IGBT
The Powermax 65 Hand System is truly one of the better cutters on the market today. It offers a lot of advantages that simply cannot be found on many other models. The ability to change out the torch styles from standard to short barrel is just one of these advantages. The unit comes with many tech advances as well, such as the Smart Sense feature that adjust gas pressure automatically. While not the best choice for home use, it is a great option to check out for larger, heavy-duty users.
The Powermax 65 can be found on Amazon.