Metal Man Auto Darkening Welding Helmet Review
The Metal Man welding helmet has been designed to package a range of top specs into a stylish body, all for an affordable price. In terms of lenses and the viewing window, this helmet is a step up from the original Techno Skull design from the same brand, offering more bang for your buck. From a fast switching time to a solar panel, it delivers many of the same features as expensive, big name helmets. However, one of the stand-out features is the striking custom mechanical skull paint job, which takes this helmet from the average to the truly awesome.
While some may shy away from this model without reading about it due to the vibrantly bright graphics that are usually associated with lower quality helmets, they’re definitely missing out. For starters, the blue flame graphics are done in a stylish, low-key matte finish that is incredibly clean and attractive. This isn’t the cheaper retail store variety that is shiny and looks like it’s covered in cheap gumball machine stickers. Honestly, the graphics look pretty cool. The light bouncing off of them has a really neat effect.
Why Should You Buy The Metal Man Welding Helmet?
In addition to being highly affordable, the auto darkening Metal Man welder hood is also super comfortable. It’s very well fitted (it is 5-point adjustable) and cushioned. And while the helmets viewing range of 3.86″ x 1.87” isn’t ideal for continual large-scale projects, it is perfect for welders who are working in small areas or just doing the occasional, quick job. Weighing in at under 2 lbs, this certainly adds to the comfort level, especially when worn for an extended period of time.
The solar powered Metal Man welding mask has a lot more to boast about than just comfort. It is also equipped with several great features that add significantly to its appeal. While it is an eco-friendly solar-powered model, it also has two backup batteries so that you don’t fry your eyes out mid-weld because you don’t have a good charge going quite yet.
This particular welding helmet also has a removable and/or replaceable sweatband, which is great for keeping sweat out of your eyes while you weld because let’s face it- if you’re dressed in half of a cow’s worth of leather and wearing a helmet, you are going to sweat. A lot. The only thing better than keeping all of that salty sweat out of your eyes is being able to remove the stinky, dirty band after extensive use and either wash or replace it.
Who Should Buy?
This helmet is also a great option for any welder with sensitive eyes. There’s almost nothing worse than blinding yourself and coming down with a migraine after just a short, quick welding job. The Metal Man welding hood is built to last, and will protect you from burns; whether UV or slag-related. If you’ve never experienced a UV burn on your eyes, just trust that you don’t want to. A good helmet with proper shading is the best defense, and this professional grade model is up to the task.
- Solar Powered: This helmet is eco-friendly and adds an extra reserve of backup power to your helmet
- Adjustable Fit: It has a 5-point adjustable system that ensures that it is securely and comfortably secured to your head while you work
- Light-weight: It only weighs 1.8 lbs; which is much easier on the neck
- Fashionable: The matte finish graphics are fun and functional
- Auto-Darkening: It is equipped with an auto on/off darkening feature with a response time of fewer than .25 seconds
- Sweatband Insert: Comes with a removable sweatband that can be washed or replaced
- Approved by ANSI and CSA: This helmet has been approved for professional welding use by both the American and Canadian Standards Associations
- Small viewing area: The 3.86″ x 1.87″ viewing area is nearly 25 percent smaller than comparable models. While it will work for some welders, it may not be the ideal choice for others.
- Mid-level helmet: There are helmets available that provide more auto features, a great shading range, etc.
- 3.86” x 1.87” viewing area
- Removable/washable sweatband
- Auto on/off darkening feature
- Solar and battery powered
- Shade range of 9-13
It doesn’t really matter if you’re an old pro at welding, a practicing hobbyist, or just getting into welding; this is a quality, mid-level welding helmet that will see you through years of wear and tear. The only real concern buyers may have is the smaller than average viewing range. Essentially, however, all that this really changes is how frequently you’ll have to move your head in order to move your field of vision.
If you can get past that small hassle, the Metal Man welding helmet is an incredibly great deal. Its durability, comfort, and auto features practically make it a steal.
The Metal Man welding helmet can be found on Amazon.